Each year, National Thrift Shop Day is celebrated on Aug. 17. It’s a day for consumers to shop small, find great bargains, and support local businesses and a great cause. Almost every town has a secondhand shop, thrift store or consignment shop. Almost always, those stores are supporting a great cause.
The benefits of shopping at a thrift shop go beyond getting a great bargain, even though that’s a great reason to spend the day thrifting for a hidden treasure. Typically, items for sale in the thrift shops are donated by customers who are cleaning out their closets, downsizing, moving or just looking to declutter their homes. It’s said that one man’s trash is another man’s treasure; that rings true in the world of thrifting.
If you’re looking for something unique to fill a certain spot in your home, visit a thrift shop. If you’re looking for evening attire for a fancy event, but don’t want to spend a fortune on something you’ll wear once, visit a thrift shop. If you’re a record collector, visit a thrift shop. If you like to hunt for antiques, visit a thrift shop. The list goes on and on, and so does the variety of what can be found if you’re shopping in a thrift shop.
Gone are the days where fashion or antiques have to be expensive. For more than 30 years, Gulfside Hospice Thrift Shoppes have been providing affordable clothing, furniture and collectible items. Residents of Pasco County and thrift shop lovers alike can visit one of the five locations located throughout Pasco County and find a great deal without breaking the bank. Not only do the thrift shops have a wide variety of items at an affordable everyday low price, but there are “thriftastic” daily deals to help you save even more.
About the Gulfside Hospice Thrift Shoppes
The proceeds from each of these stores directly support Gulfside Hospice, patient care costs and the operation of the Gulfside Centers for Hospice Care. There are five locations throughout Pasco County, located in Dade City, Hudson, Lutz, New Port Richey and Zephyrhills. Donations are accepted during store hours, and donation pick-up can be scheduled for large items by calling the nearest store.
Thanks to a constant flow of new donations, merchandise for sale at the Shoppes is always changing. All of the locations offer a large variety of new and gently used items, and some great one-of-a-kind treasures, antiques and collectibles. Items you can find in the Gulfside Hospice Thrift Shoppes include clothing for the whole family, furniture perfect for furnishing a home or upcycling DIY projects, small household appliances, name brand handbags and accessories, and high-end and costume jewelry, collectibles, antiques and more!
Still need more reasons to thrift? Here are 12 great reasons to shop at the Gulfside Hospice Thrift Shoppes:
1. Great prices! The Gulfside Hospice Thrift Shoppes have the best prices in town on anything you’re looking for.
2. Designer brands, for much, much less! More times than not, you can find a great deal on top name brands like Vera Bradley, Dooney & Burke, Ann Taylor, Michael Kors and so many more.
3. Find one-of-a-kind gifts for anyone on your list! Our displays of unique collectibles are sure to make anyone smile.
4. Get your hands on some hard-to-find antiques! We have seen all kinds of things come through our doors, from antique glassware to vintage games and baseball cards.
5. Meet our friendly volunteers! You can even enjoy some live music at the New Port Richey Shoppe on certain days of the week thanks to our talented volunteers.
6. Every visit is a treasure hunt! Thanks to a constant flow of donations, inventory at all the Shoppes is constantly changing so you never know what treasure you might find on the shelf.
7. Handmade gifts for a special cause! Most Shoppes keep a supply of items made by our talented volunteers that raise money for our programs, like pet blankets that support the Pet Peace of Mind program.
8. Help the environment! By shopping at the Gulfside Hospice Thrift Shoppes, you’re helping recycle and repurpose items that might have otherwise been tossed out.
9. Support future generations! Many of our Thrift Shoppe volunteers are teens who are earning community service hours and learning what it’s like to join the workforce.
10. Find great pieces for your DIY projects! What better place than the Gulfside Hospice Thrift Shoppes to look for old furniture and other items that can be repurposed and upcycled?
11. Quality home furnishings, for less! Fill up your new apartment or snowbird home for less with furniture, lamps, kitchen appliances and more.
12. And of course, support a great cause! All the money from the Gulfside Hospice Thrift Shoppes go back to providing patient care so that anyone in need of hospice services can receive quality care, no matter their financial situation.
“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
One way that nonprofit thrift shops help raise money for their cause is by the work of volunteers. Thanks to their time and effort, the cost of running the shops is much lower, meaning that more of the proceeds from sales can go directly to the charity it supports. Volunteers who give their time at the shops often feel they get back so much more in return. Particularly for senior volunteers – they have a place to go where they can meet new people, make new friends and stay active, leading to healthier lives.
According to Mary, a volunteer at the Gulfside Hospice Thrift Shoppe in Dade City, giving back is a rewarding experience that has kept her with the shop for more than a decade. “I came to Gulfside 12 years ago because it is a good cause, helping people in their final days of life. Also, it’s an excellent organization, it has great people and it’s very rewarding!”
Supporting a nonprofit thrift store means the whole community benefits. Whether it’s shopping the inventory, donating unwanted items, or giving back by volunteering, supporting the nonprofit thrift shops of the local community allows them to continue giving back to those in need, whatever the cause.
At the Gulfside Hospice Thrift Shoppes, all proceeds from their five locations go directly to supporting patient care, specialized programs and bereavement services for families, which are offered free of charge to anyone in the community. This is made possible by the Thrift Shoppes.
For example, when a volunteer works a four-hour shift at a Gulfside Hospice Thrift Shoppe, the money saved by their efforts equates to the cost of medical equipment for a hospice patient for 12 days. The smallest gift of time, treasure and talent can have a big impact on the care the organization provides.
The Gulfside Hospice Thrift Shoppes are run almost entirely by volunteers. They are a vital part of the stores’ success, and new volunteers are always welcome. New volunteers receive training and an onsite orientation in the store of their choice. Roles of a volunteer include tasks like greeting and assisting customers, sorting and pricing items, organizing and displaying items on store shelves, and more.
To learn more about how you can shop, donate or volunteer at the Gulfside Hospice Thrift Shoppes, visit Gulfside.org/thrift-shoppes or call (800) 561-4883. You can also follow the Shoppes on social media for sneak peeks at new inventory, sales and more at Facebook.com/GHThriftShoppes or on Instagram at @gulfsidethriftshoppes.
- Save up to 70% on purses, totes and crossbodies
- Shop sales at Amazon, Michael Kors and Walmart
- Michael Kors Creates Limited-edition Capsule for Capri, Amalfi Coast Hotel Pop-up Shops
- Bag a Michael Kors purse for up to 70% off during this end-of-summer sale—shop totes and crossbodies
- Shop the best summer deals at Amazon, Solo Stove, Michael Kors and Walmart this August